Artist Submission Guidelines
The Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham invites you to apply to its first art show and sale fundraiser event to support local artists and the Varley Art Gallery of Markham. The show will take place at the McKay Art Centre from October 4 to October 16, 2022. 15 artists will be selected to showcase and sell their work at the event. This is not a juried show. Works will be selected by the event committee based on criteria that ensures a diverse display of art. We accept all types of 2-dimensional original fine art and sculptural relief. Audience choice prizes will be awarded at the end of the event based on votes by visitors to the show. Please review the information below to check for eligibility and learn more about the application process.
Terms of Entry
- Entry is open to artists age 18+ residing in York Region, Ontario
- Work must meet exhibition guidelines to be included in the event (Work will be determined ineligible if entry guidelines are not followed)
- Images of works by accepted artists may be used at the sole discretion of Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham for promotional purposes included but not limited to: social media, catalog, website, flyers. Images will include attribution wherever possible
- Work cannot be withdrawn before the end of the event
Artwork will be handled with all possible care. Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham will not be responsible or liable for loss or damage from any cause whatsoever. Insurance, if desired, must be provided by and carried by the artist.
- Application Form: Click the “Apply Now” button at the bottom of the page to start the process.
- Digital Images: Five (5) JPEG images must be submitted through the application form. Images must be indicative of the works you would bring to the sale. Set pixel dimension between 1024 and 3000 pixels on the longest side. Color mode should be RGB or SRGB (no CMYK). Images should not exceed more than 10 MB. File name should follow the following format: Artist’s Name, Artwork Title, Medium Used, Size (H x W in cm), Price.
- Application Fee: $25 plus applicable online transaction fees. Only one (1) submission per person. Application fees are non-refundable. Fees can be paid online through Zeffy at this link. After payment, please attach the e-ticket to the application form linked below.
- For the purpose of this fundraiser, we accept all 2-dimensional genres of original fine art and sculptural relief (original photography and digital media included).
- All entries must be original and completed solely by the artist submitting. Works which have already been reproduced to create items for sale should not be submitted. A maximum of 8 original works will be accepted.
- Work must be in impeccable condition and priced accordingly. All work must be delivered in protective wrapping and appropriately wired for immediate hanging. Work must be framed or on gallery depth canvas. It is the artist’s responsibility to deliver their work to the McKay Art Centre.
- If accepted, an additional $75 non-refundable fee (plus applicable online transaction fees) will be charged for physical and online exhibition space. 3 to 4 works will be physically displayed at any one time and as works sell a replacement will go in from the artist’s remaining stock. All works will be available to see and purchase at any time through an online catalogue available for the duration of the event.
- Minimum $100 value per artwork.
- Minimum size for work (H x W in cm) is 25.4 cm x 25.4 cm (10”x10”) with maximum dimensions of 60.96 cm x 92.44 cm (24” x 36”) or 76.2 cm x 76.2 cm (30” x 30”).
Artists will retain 60% from the sales. Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham will retain 40% commission on any work sold through the Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham. A cheque for the artist’s portion of the sale(s) will be sent by mail in mid-November. No other payment options are available.
JULY 21: Online application open for submission
AUGUST 20: Application Deadline
AUGUST 27: Artists notified by email
OCTOBER 1 and 3: Works must arrive at the McKay Art Centre
OCTOBER 4: First day of exhibition and opening reception
OCTOBER 16: Last day of exhibition
OCTOBER 17 & 18: Pick-up of unsold work from the McKay Art Centre
This is not a juried show. However, we do have Audience Choice prizes for audience’s top three favourite artists. The winners will be announced at the end of the show through our social media. Prizes to be decided.
The guidelines are subject to change without notice by the Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham at its sole discretion.